My heart aches for a family in Chicago who is suffering the loss of their thirteen year old daughter after a severe anaphylactic reaction to food she ate at a school holiday party. I read the article from the Chicago Tribune just a couple hours before going to my son's holiday school party today.
This tragic loss is a sad reminder to parents who have children with life threatening allergies of the challenges faced in everyday life. For those unfamiliar with these challenges, the efforts we make to keep things safe in the classroom may sometimes seem excessive and over the top. This sad loss reminds me that every effort is justified.
Our hearts go out to the Carlson family. Go here for the story.