Sunday, October 2, 2011

Snickerdoodle Muffins



This Saturday we started the month of October off at the soccer field at 8:00 AM.  We actually had to pull out the fleece jackets.  Could it be,  is fall finally here?  My Maryland friends just can't understand why I long for the crisp mornings of fall and have no problem saying goodbye to the steamy weather that seems to linger just a little too long here for this girl from Maine.

This cool morning seemed like the perfect time to pull out my recipe for snickerdoodle muffins.  These muffins are so delicious warm out of the oven with a cup of coffee.  They are covered in melted margarine and cinnamon and sugar and just melt in your mouth.  I knew if I only made one batch, the muffins would quickly be devoured.  I decided to double the recipe so we could share the muffins with the other soccer parents as we watched the game.

I started making these muffins years ago for my husband and I, before children and allergies.  Now, I only have to replace the butter with soy margarine and the milk with soy or rice milk.  You won't need much time at all to throw these snickerdoodle muffins together.  Here is the recipe, below.  Get yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Crisco
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup soy or rice milk (I used Silk Vanilla Soy Milk)

Topping Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons melted soy margarine (I used Earth Balance Vegan Sticks)
1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
With electric mixer, mix Crisco, egg and sugar.
Using a whisk, sift flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
Next, alternate mixing sifted ingredients and soy milk with Crisco, egg and sugar mixture.
Drop batter into greased muffin cups.  Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cool slightly.  Remove from pan.  Then dip the tops of the muffins in the melted margarine and then top with the cinnamon sugar.
Enjoy!~

No comments:

Post a Comment